Gin Festival in Arrowtown
Celebrating Gin and Gin Cocktails in Queenstown
Looking for a unique local experience to try this weekend? Head out to Arrowtown and enjoy the 2023 New Zealand International Gin Festival.
Gin Down Under
With over 30 distilleries, more than 200 possible GIN cocktails on offer, delicious local cuisine and live music, Saturday, 25th March, will be a cracker of a day!
Gin festivals are events that celebrate the ever-growing popularity of gin and bring together gin enthusiasts and distillers locally and from abroad. These festivals typically offer tastings of different gins from around the world, as well as educational seminars, workshops, and food pairings. Some gin festivals also feature live music, entertainment, and other activities.
Gin has become increasingly popular in recent years, and many gin festivals are held worldwide, from London to New York to Singapore. These festivals allow gin lovers to try new and unique gins, learn about the history and production of the spirit, and connect with others who share their passion.
Where: Wilcox Green, Arrowtown
When: Sat 25th March 2023
The New Zealand International Gin Festival is a one-day event that celebrates everything great about gin from all over the world. The festival will be held over the weekend of March 24th and 25th along the banks of the Arrow River. New Zealand is fortunate to have some of the world's best gins, and this festival brings them all together in one place and gives the distillers a chance to showcase new and improved lines and us a chance to sample and support locally made gin.
Central Otago is considered by many the heart & soul of gin production in New Zealand, and Arrowtown is one of the most picturesque locations in the country. Enjoy your day at Wilcox Green along the Arrow River, surrounded by the changing colour of the trees while enjoying live music and enjoying the friendly and vibrant atmosphere. With an outstanding range of products to choose from, you won't be able to resist taking some home!
8 Top Tips on How to Taste Gin
(to get you a head start this weekend!)
Tasting gin involves assessing its aroma, flavour, and texture. Here are the general steps to taste test gin that will get you started :
- Choose your glass: The preferred glass for gin tasting is a tulip-shaped glass. It allows you to swirl the gin around, which helps release the aromas.
- Pour a small amount of gin: Pour about an ounce of gin into your glass.
- Observe the gin: Look at the colour and clarity of the gin. Gin is typically clear, but some aged gins may have a slight yellow tint.
- Smell the gin: Swirl the gin around the glass to release its aromas. Then take a deep sniff. Note the different aromas, such as botanicals, citrus, spices, or herbs.
- Taste the gin: Take a sip of gin and swirl it around your mouth. Note the flavor profile, such as juniper, citrus, spice, floral, or earthy notes. Gin should taste balanced with a clear presence of juniper.
- Finish: Note the finish, which is the taste that lingers after you swallow. Does it have a long or short finish? Is it smooth or harsh?
- Add water or ice: If you prefer, you can add a small amount of water or ice to the gin to see how it changes the flavor and texture.
- Repeat: Rinse your glass with water before moving on to the next gin. Repeat the tasting process with the next gin.
Remember that tasting gin is a personal experience, and everyone's palate is different. Experiment with different gin brands and find the one that suits your taste preferences.
Locals Gin Recommendation - Vaione
Reflecting the nuances of the Pacific, this gin is a celebration of the South Pacific, its cultural diversity and its stunning landscape and people! This gin is small-batch distilled and has a unique citrus flavor. It is fuller in the mouth than most dry gins and has excellent balance with a dollop of juniper and angelic dryness at the finish. It is genuinely a gin that can be enjoyed by traditional gin drinkers and new gin drinkers who are after unique, refreshing tastes.
There will be many options to sip your way through the gin list this weekend. The forecast is for periods of lovely sun after lunch, so grab a ticket via NZIGF's website and hope a bus to Arrowtown for a great day out!
Be safe, but have fun!